Floor cleaning may not be the most complicated home cleaning chore, but it can leave lasting stains and damage long after done. Of course, the easiest and most efficient way to get a clean floor is to hire the professionals; the biggest benefit of this home cleaning trick is that you can take all the credit for your sparkling clean floors.
To make the floor deep cleaning easier (and hopefully involving less elbow grease), use these floor maintenance tips:
- Sweep or vacuum regularly.
- If using a vacuum cleaner, purchase a vacuum that won’t void the warranty and won’t damage floors.
- Place mats by all doors to keep debris from being tracked in.
- When letting pets in, clean off their paws.
- Teach kids to wipe their feet off after being outside.
- Leave all shoes by the door.
If you’re still interested in rolling up your sleeves, use these big floor cleaning tips and tricks to get every floor in your home clean and sparkling.
- When cleaning a spot, avoid hard scrubbing (it can damage carpet fibers).
- Make sure you are using a cleaner that doesn’t damage the flooring. (Test the cleaner on an area that is hidden.)
- Don’t leave puddles when carpet cleaning.
- Frequently change water during carpet cleaning.
Laminate & Wood Floors
- Completely sweep or vacuum before a deep clean to prevent scratching from debris.
- Use a fan to dry laminate and wood floors without leaving puddles.
- Don’t use a sponge mop, which can dig the dirt into the flooring.
- When mopping, change water frequently so you are using clean water.
- Be careful about choosing soap for flooring cleaning; it can leave a residue.
- Sweep or vacuum before cleaning.
- Use a non-abrasive cleaner to avoid damage (make sure you use an approved cleaner to avoid voiding the warranty).
- Grab the gentlest scrubber for a deep clean.