A clean and organized mudroom is worth its weight in gold, especially when you’re leading a busy life (there’s a lot of gear that comes with school, work, and hobbies!). That’s why we’ve put together a list of cleaning and organization tips that’ll give you a functional space that makes life easier (to make life even easier, hire a professional cleaner to keep it clean and organized).
Mudroom Organization Tips
- Clear out everything so you can efficiently deep clean and organize.
- When you clear all the gear out of a mudroom, divide the items into piles (i.e. shoes, winter gear, winter jackets, hobby gear, sports gear, pet items, etc.)
- Get storage solutions for each pile, such as containers for winter gear and a shoe rack for footwear. (For other ideas, check out this list of mudroom storage ideas.)
- Add hooks and cabinets at “kid level” so kids can easily put their items away and hang up coats.
- Maximize the space you have; hang cabinets, hooks, and shelves so they efficiently use space.
Mudroom Cleaning Checklist
- Clean the ceiling and remove spider webs.
- Wash the walls. (Walls in a mudroom can get dirty easily from gear and foot traffic.)
- Clean duct covers.
- Deep clean flooring.
- Vacuum mudroom rugs.
- Clean trim work.
- Dust and sweep benches and shelves.
- Wipe down hooks.
- Clean containers (i.e. baskets, fabric drawers, etc.)
- If you have asthma and can’t handle the dust, a bad back, or don’t have the time, hire a cleaning service to take on your mudroom organization so you can enjoy an organized and functional space.