If you’re ready to throw in the towel on your house cleaning, these tips for hiring the best house cleaner are for you. The good news is you can hire a home cleaner to help with as much or as little cleaning as need done.
There are two options for home cleaners: an individual home cleaner or a home cleaning service. There are advantages or disadvantages to both. Some homeowners like the comfort of having one cleaner come every time (which can be done with an individual cleaner or home cleaning service). Others choose to hire a home cleaning service because of the availability, training, and assurances (i.e. for complaints, insurance, etc.)
The main difference between the two is availability. Home cleaning services always have employees available to clean, both for random cleanings (“I really need my home cleaned up before my party!”) or for regular weekly, bi-weekly, and monthly cleanings. Individual home cleaners typically require a more flexible schedule with an occasional break. Some cleaners require a set number of hours from homeowners.
Unfortunately, hiring either type of home cleaner comes with a process (a short process!) that ensures that both parties are satisfied.
Hiring a House Cleaning Service Checklist
____ Make a list of home cleaning services.
- Ask friends and family for recommendations.
- Do an internet search for local house cleaning services (i.e. “cleaning services near me,” “house cleaning near me.”
- Research reviews on local cleaning services (i.e. Yelp, Facebook, etc.)
____ Decide what cleaning tasks you need done.
- Make a list of all the cleaning tasks you need done.
- Contact cleaning services for a free quote.
____ Interview each service.
- “How long have you been in business? Can you provide references from past clients?”
- “Is your service insured? What process should I follow if anything in my home is damaged?”
- “Do you perform background checks on all your home cleaners?”
- “Does your service supply the cleaning supplies and equipment?”
- “Who should I contact to schedule a home cleaning?”
- “Do I need to be here when the home cleaner comes?”
- “Should I secure my pet when the cleaner comes over?”
- “Who should I contact if I have any complaints?”
- “Do I need to sign a contract?”
____ Hire the house cleaning service.
- Review all contracts and proof of insurance.
- Reiterate your list of cleaning tasks and expectations.
- Sign all necessary paperwork before the first cleaning.
____ Schedule a home cleaning and enjoy the perks of a shorter to-do list.