The holidays are a crazy, busy time. People are thinking about gifts, food, parties, family gatherings…not about safety. But winter is a notorious time for fires and accidents if you’re not careful (and sometimes even if you are).
- Keep your home disinfected. The holidays are a time when you want to feel your best—and not like you’ve been hit by a truck or a germ. Keep your common surfaces clean and disinfected.
- If a member of your family does get sick, wipe down door knobs, phones, faucets and anything else they may have touched with a disinfectant. Give your bathrooms a deep clean (or hire a house cleaner to do the job). Launder all bedding ASAP.
- Call your gas company for emergency service IMMEDIATELY if you smell gas (or an odor that smells like rotten eggs), and get out your home. Call IMMEDIATELY.
- Have your chimney inspected. Contact chimney professionals to schedule an inspection so you can prevent carbon monoxide build up or a fire.
- Place a fire-proof screen or sturdy covering in front of your fireplace. Keep stray embers from injuring family members, pets or guests.
- When preparing food for your Thanksgiving or holiday meals (or any meal), follow proper storage and food preparation guidelines to minimize your risk of food-borne illnesses. Thoroughly clean your counters after preparing and serving food.
- Be careful with space heaters. When leaving your home, make sure your space heater is turned off. Also make sure that a space heater is clear of curtains and furniture.
- Make sure all holiday candles are out before you go to bed or leave the house. Place candles several feet away from curtains, drapes or other flammable materials.
- Check your smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors. If there is a problem with your furnace, you want your smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors working and ready to alert you and your family.
- Have your furnace inspected to make sure it is working properly and safely. Keep the area clear around your furnace and clean. Keep flammable items away from your furnace and make sure the area is clear of lint and other dust that could cause a fire.
- Clean up melting snow and water spills off your floor to prevent slips. Place rugs by all doors. Keep your walks and driveway clear of snow and ice to protect yourself and your visitors from injuries.
If you have any questions, or you need help cleaning up after your holiday gatherings, contact us. Happy holidays!