The amount of money lost by US employers is staggering; sick employees cost the US more than 500 billion every year. Any business owner or manager can attest to the fact that sick employees are a major disruption. Sick employees can attest to the fact that sick days are no fun and that germs can spread like wildfire through the office.
Fortunately, there are strategic ways to prevent the spread of germs and stop the transmission of flu, cold, strep, and other illnesses. The easiest way is to make disinfecting wipes available to employees. Wipes can be stored with cleaning supplies and in common areas where employees can use them to clean equipment.
Hand washing is the next line of defense. In busy offices where employees can’t get away, strategically-placed hand sanitizer is an easy way to prevent the spread of germs. Hand sanitizer should be put out in areas where employees have convenient access, such as common areas.
When even the best efforts to stem the flow of germs fails, a full workplace disinfection is the only solution. Office cleaning can be done during by internal staff during business hours (using the workplace disinfection checklist below) or completed by a commercial cleaning service after-hours. A commercial cleaning service tasked with an after-hours disinfection minimizes disruptions and ensures that the cleaning is done all-at-once or periodically to rid the office of germs.
Office Disinfection Checklist
- ___ Wipe down door knobs (exterior & interior)
- ___ Disinfect printer, scanner, and fax machine controls
- ___ Wash candy bowls
- ___ Clean desktops and staplers
- ___ Disinfect phone cradle, handsets, and headsets
- ___ Remove germs from every computer keyboard and mouse (use this step-by-step guide on disinfecting computer keyboard)
- ___ Disinfect trash cans
- ___ Wipe down office chairs
- ___ Clean all conference room furniture, including countertops, tables, and chairs
- ___ Sanitize the kitchen
- Kitchen faucet
- Kitchen appliances (toaster, microwave, stove, etc.)
- Chairs and tables
- Kitchen refrigerator (door, handle & interior)
- Kitchen cabinet knobs
- Dishwasher controls
- ___ Disinfect the coffee maker (all handles and controls)
- ___ Sanitize the bathroom
- Paper towel dispensers
- Bathroom door handles
- Hand dryer controls
- Toilet seats and handles
- Stall door handles
- Stall garbage cans
- Soap dispensers
- Bathroom waste receptacles